Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sketch Tuesdays at 111 Minna


I've always seen myself as an arts enthusiast. I'm not exactly artistically-inclined, but of course very few people can say that statement with confidence. It seems that with art, many feel restricted or pressured into abiding by the rubrics of what is deemed as art (like symmetry, depth of field, popular aesthetics, proper shadowing, etc.) but really, art to me is about expression and finding beauty when not a single soul in the world could understand what the hell it is you are trying to express. Ah, but then again... art is such an ambiguous thing.

In reference to art, a few friends of mine attended an event called Sketch Tuesdays at 111 Minna gallery yesterday. This event is held every 3rd Tuesday of the month and such a sensational space to be in. Sketch Tuesdays is essentially an event to gather art-enthusiasts, several in attendance from the neighboring Academy of Art students and other SF natives into one space to give birth to creative energy. 111 Minna also invites a panel of local artists to showcase and paint their pieces. Another awesome thing is that they allow the general public to sell their pieces as well.

Here are a few pictures from the evening:


My water color painting (right) & Bryan's (left)
I managed to sell my impromptu piece that I made there for $5 that night!
The quote that I had written is from Max Ehrmann,

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.



Sister Kate (Belly-dancing Burlesque dancers)
Live models were also in attendance for people to sketch.

Art posted for sale

My medium of choice: Water Colors

Erin McCarty

Bryan's creation

The guys

Sketches

That's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. Hey ...great blog

    I really like this blog its very interesting

    you can check out mine too and you can leave your comments there...

    http://mgmarketinggroup.blogspot.com/


    thank you...
    http://www.miamiglamour.com/campa/

    ReplyDelete