Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Opening Photography Reception at Koji Sake Lounge

Preparing my photos for the exhibit

Over the past year, in my opinion, I’ve captured some notable photographs while traveling throughout SE Asia and the Pacific with my first DSLR, the Nikon D40. I love that I have these moments accessible to me to remind me of the amazing things that have happened over the past year and all of its grandeur. Lara and I always manage to find each other reminiscing or linking each other pictures of certain events and laughing/tearing/squealing about them.

A year ago, I had a dream that I hosted a photography show. I often found myself dreaming about different things, then contemplating about them weeks later and outlining a proactive plan to pursue these dreams (depending if these dreams seem attainable at that time… some days, I don’t pay attention to them much, others I hysterically obsess over) this one, being one of them. I knew who to contact and I knew what tools I needed to execute this. But slowly thereafter, especially upon my return, my motivation to pursue declined significantly. I think I just got comfortable like we usually do, allowing aspirations to slowly slip from the potential of our fingertips. It wasn’t until after I went out to one of our favorite lounges in downtown San Jose when interest sparked again in the form of bicycle photographs mounted on their walls. I thought, “I could do this, too!” I got up the courage to speaking with a few of their managers, exchanged contacts and a few days later I submitted an online portfolio. Shortly after a few exchanged e-mails, a scheduled date to hang up my photos went into effect. I decided I wanted to give a little more meaning to this small exhibit and have the photos sold for a $10-20 where 100% of the purchases go directly to Isara.

I had my opening reception on the 21st of last month and invited a few friends to come celebrate with me. The night turned out well, I’m not quite sure if I sold any that night (or at all?) since all transactions go through the lounge. I’m hoping I did. If not, I’m still planning on giving back somehow and definitely proud to be able to exhibit my work. I’m very thankful to be able to accomplish something and being able to say, “it was always something I wanted to do”. People tend to be modest of their accomplishments but I absolutely believe that celebrating small victories are essential to a healthy and happy self-esteem and what better way to do that than with a little sake? Hehe.

Here’s a few photos from the reception:






Thanks for coming, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment