Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Today, I will be a typical tourist

... and wear lots and lots of cheesy Hawaiian paraphanelia like hibiscus and palm tree printed dresses and hats--wait! Don't forget the kukui nuts necklaces. Just kidding. I can't say that for the majority of the population in Waikiki though.

Today, I continue my exploration of Oahu by hiking up Diamond head, a crater that was once used by the U.S. Military. The hike was stunning as usual and not actually very strenuous to say the least. I think the fact that there were so many tourists stopping to take pictures at every look-out point and being quite frankly, out of shape would have made the hike "quicker". Maybe also it's because I've been running lately leaving me feeling more refreshed in terms of physical activity and the fact that I actually find enjoyment in hiking made it somewhat of a breeze.





Once we finished the hike within an hour (it was suggested for roughly 2 hours, which I'm sure is if taken very leisurely) we headed over to the Health Bar and had some delicious acai bowls where I resurfaced memories of ordering this at Cafe Brazil in Santa Cruz.

Diana decided to drop us off along Waikiki's main strip because she had class and so that we could wander aimlessly amongst other tourists. Lara and I decided we'd explore some ABC Stores and other souvenir shops. We also sat at Waikiki beach for only a few minutes because the sun was too powerful and later, becoming bored by the endless numbers of tourists here, we decided to go to a Japanese restaurant for their ultimate, "new and improved" happy hour (a.k.a. Happy hour only closes from 6-10 p.m. crazy!). After hh, we went around to different shopping areas and pretended like we wanted to buy things, tiring us to exhaustion and found ourselves k.o.'ed at a random shopping center's common lounge area until Diana came to pick us up.

What a great day! Haha.

Pictures:
The phone booths are cute here!

Waikiki Beach

Before walking into the International Marketplace.
Random sighting of parrots perched on a trash can.

Surfboards

Coconut M&Ms are so good!

'tis all for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment