Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Motorcycle Diaries: Bohol Island

Oh, hollaaa! The whip we took around Bohol Island, a motorcycleta... hehe

Mom, Dad, and other concerned readers: DO NOT FREAK OUT.
I have suffered no injuries, maybe just a bruised bottom, but that's nothing!
To Isara, sorry we're not wearing helmets, he didn't provide us with any!

The day started off earlier than usual since major travel was destined for today. We boarded the first ferry off to Bohol Island at about 6 a.m. and spent an hour's worth of travel to the island, then another 2 1/2 hours to get to Carmen, the town where we would be meeting with Bob, our tour guide.

The ride to Carmen was brilliant. I wish I could do justice by providing tons of pictures of the sights I've seen, but there is still absolutely nothing compared to just seeing these views first-hand and just smelling the aromas that accentuate this experience. I really really really cannot express how beautiful it was to see lush green rice terraces, vibrant flowers blooming from left to right, free range livestock and animals roaming about, families walking their children to school, and so many other people and things I've observed on this ride. I really am at a loss for words at the feeling of being in Bohol within just those few hours traveling.


We met up with our tour guide, Bob at the last stop of our bus, at the Carmen public market and began our tour straight away. He was very personable and spoke English quite well. He had a different Filipino-English accent, it sounded more Spanish-English which was really interesting to me. The itinerary for the day was packed and I have to warn you, this blog may be exhausting to read. I'll share photos and add a few quick comments here and there about our adventure throughout Bohol.

The Chocolate Hills!
(or as Bmac likes to call them, the Tsyocolate hills since that's how Filipinos pronounce it, lol)

The legends illustrating how these conical karst hills came about are far more interesting than the geological ones. Two stories that Bob told us are that:
1. There were once two giants who feuded over trivial matters, threw fist-fulls of land at each other eventually disrupted the flat landscape. It's okay folks, they eventually make amends and became bffs again.
2. (I prefer this one, it's more romantic... perfect for v-day!) There was a giant who fell in love with a mortal. When the mortal woman passed, the giant felt excruciating pain and loss. He wept for days and when his tears dried, the Chocolate Hills were formed.

Fact that I've learned: There are about 1,268 hills that are about 40 meters high documented in Carmen alone. According to other sources theres about 1700+ around Bohol, in total. These hills are really an outstanding sight to see... kind of obscure to me, but very pretty!


Tarsier Monkey Zoo
The smallest primate in the world, the Tarsier monkey
These guys are adorable.


Python Park
Prony, the python we came to visit... in his cage O_O!!
No worries folks, he's just ate a 55 kilo. pig a week or two ago.


Magsaysay Park
Monkeys were roaming freely here. Check out Mama monkey and her baby.


The Hanging Bridge
I have to admit, I had sweaty palms and feet while crossing this one. Yikes!

Loboc Museum
This place stored old priest robes and other ancient Catholic church paraphanelia. I was actually quite frightened looking at the baby Jesuses, Virgin Marys, Santo Ninos and other misc. religious statues because they just looked so eerie-- definitely an absence of holiness.

The Floating Restaurant
I couldn't help but revel in this pleasant experience.
The atmosphere was so beautiful and the food was delicious!
More pictures below...



Aside from enjoying the scenery as we were floating along the river and listening to cover songs played with the ukulele, this quick stop at a local barangay off the river topped my experience. This community of people performed traditional dance with the tourists, sang Boholuano songs, and even did their own renditions of English songs. It was such a beautiful memory to be with these people, everyone looked so happy. =)

Lara and I couldn't help but have this permanent smile on our faces and even tears of joy, for that matter. There is really something about music that brings people together. I love it!


The Clarin Ancestral House
The preserved home of one of the first Mayors of Tagbilaran that is 169 years old.


Butterfly Sanctuary
Check out my middle-school butterfly clips though! The picture above resembling gold earrings are actually cocoons. Can you believe that?

The Blood Compact
The statue reinforcing why my last name along with Lara's are Spanish. That, and toasting to "friendship" between the Boholuanos and the Spaniards by drinking each other's blood as a sign of brotherhood and "peace".

Man-made Forrest of Mahogany Trees

Hagdanan Caves

Bikini Beach
Our last stop where we relaxed and watched the waves crash.

There were so many sights that we were fortunate enough to see thanks to our efficient transportation. There were times when we were riding the motorcycle and I'd close my eyes, floating in my imagination, wondering how it would be like to wake up to this beauty everyday, to live simply, and ideally happier... maybe even healthier since the air here is clean! I think it'd be nice.

I know I've mentioned this several times about my reflections as I unwind at the end of the day, but I'll say it again because it really is something very meaningful to me, to be able to enjoy this experience and appreciate every moment of it... no matter how repetitive it may appear. I loved seeing the scenery, the people, learning the history of the Philippines during the Spanish times, which is still has a very strong influence here and the adventure that we had riding the motorcycle. This trip just refreshes me even more that the Philippines is blanketed with beauty and if tourists care to venture out of their typical, Lonely Planet itineraries, they too, will be able to witness this. There is just something about the untouched beauty of Bohol's rural lifestyle that permanently rests here that I appreciate so much more than the exhausting smog of city life.

These memories and feelings are seriously things that you just cannot put a price on.

Stay beautiful, Bohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment