Thursday, February 11, 2010

Long Stretch

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice.

It's been quite a ride here in the Philippines. I had some more than remarkable moments spent with my family and new experiences this time around, far more different than the times I came with my parents. Although we weren't able to do another charity project with Full-Life, I'm still happy that I've been able to experience one project here and be able to meet people from this org. Aside from that, staying with Lara's family and my family along with sightseeing was also great.

There is still a lot to discover in the Philippines with it's plethora of islands. With the last visit to Cebu and hearing a difference in language, I wish I was able to effortlessly communicate and travel as easily here as I have in recent months throughout the different countries.

As much as I want to encourage travelers to make their way to the Philippines to experience this amazing country, I kind of want people to stay away at the same time. There is so much still preserved here and because the government hasn't encouraged the development of their tourism here, it may or may not be the safest place for travelers either-- but then again, I am being hypocritical because I've been going about this trip in many ways people may view as dangerous. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want the beauty to be preserved because after the centuries of having foreign influences and occupations, it would be a different vibe here with foreigners wandering about as freely as in SE Asian countries I've visited where I'd been confused about what country I'm in because everyone's treating it as their garbage can. I don't know, this is just my opinion.

Anywaaayyyy...

It honestly hasn't felt that long being here in the Philippines. After spending the past few days with Lara's family dining and shopping, I'm coming to terms with going home and leaving to the U.S. and not waking up the next day to some foreign place I've never been before. I'm not quite sure how similar Hawaii is to California or the feeling of being in the US is there, but I know mentally I'll be constantly thinking that "OMG, I'm on American soil after 5 months". I know it seems like I'm spoiling my homecoming by saying these things, but I feel like I could go even longer. 5 months is really quite short.

Tonight I'm leaving on a 8 p.m. flight with Hawaiian Air. I hope everything in Hawaii will be as incredible as the visits to these other countries I've been to cause this will be my first time!

Maraming salamat po, Philippines! I will definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment